Wednesday, March 23, 2016

A Depressing Tournament

Jesus Contreras Mrs. Twenge 2/3 3/11/16 A Depressing Tournament One summer morning, I had a basketball tournament for at Arroyo Grande. I was wearing sweats, a white T-shirt, and a Nike sweater. It was a cold morning that day and we were heading to A.G in white vans. Some of my teammates were sleeping and some of them were listening to music because it was at 8 or 9 in the morning. Once we got to A.G, we headed to the gym and we were looking around to see who we were playing against. It was San Luis Obispo and then Atascadero. We won both games. They were pretty tough games because both games were back to back scoring, but we managed to get both wins. The next day, on a Saturday, we had another two games because it was a two day tournament. This time we were playing A.G and some team that was called West Coast. The First game was a stressful because we kept on doing turnovers and playing bad defense until the second or third quarter. When the third quarter started, we came out strong. We were on fire! Shooting none-stop three pointers and playing tremendous defense. However, at the end we still lost by 1 or 3 points. We shook their hands and grabbed our stuff and went to the bleachers to wait for our next game. Their game had started. We were stretching and warming up to play against West Coast. When the game started, we were actually playing pretty good in the first half. During the second half, we were doing well until they tied up against us. One specific play went wrong and time was running out. My teammate shot and it missed. I was running down the right lane until I jumped off my right leg to grab the ball on my left. I was going to do a dunk/put back on some short kid which he fell and the crowd was jumping and screaming. Even the A.G kids were amazed, especially my teammates and coach. It wasn’t over yet. We had three minutes left and in those three minutes we won the game by twenty points. We went home after because our coaches dropped us off at our house. Then the day passed. It was a Sunday morning when I got a news that one of my friends died in a car crash. Which I didn’t believe because I barely had a game with him in A.G. He was actually one of the players that made us go 3-1 in the tournament. He was one of the brightest kids because he was not just a great teammate but a great friend and family member. Also it doesn’t matter if your blood or not because “The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life- Richard Bach

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry for you loss. I am sure that he still impacts your life as a basketball player today. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete